Domestic students

If you are a continuing undergraduate or postgraduate coursework student who is not returning to study in the current year, but wishes to return next year, you must apply for leave, which covers one year. Subsequent leave applications are required if you need to extend your leave beyond one year.
You are not required to apply for a single semester's leave (or less), unless you are an undergraduate/graduate nursing or midwifery student. Due to the time limits imposed on completion of the Bachelor of Nursing and Bachelor of Midwifery, students enrolled in these degrees must apply for leave for any study period(s) by submitting a support request (refer following for instructions). 
Students who wish to take leave from the Doctor of Medicine course during any study period in a given year, but retain the option of returning to the course in the following year must have their leave approved by the College of Medicine and Public Health. Refer to the Doctor of Medicine FLO site for details and the application form. Medical students who withdraw from topics without formal leave of absence approval do not have an automatic right to resume their studies in the course.   

How to apply for a leave of absence

First check the program of study in your course rule to check there are no restrictions on the time in which you must complete your degree.
You can apply for leave by submitting an online request via Ask Flinders by selecting the Request Support button and signing in as a current student. Fill out the form, stating the reasons for your leave.
A copy of your request will be emailed to your University account as confirmation that your request has been received. We will seek approval on your behalf and notify you via your University email account if your leave request is approved. As a Flinders University student you can also track the progress of your request or add further information to your request, through My Support. When signed in to Ask Flinders via the Request Support tab, select My Support from the top of the page.
Students who do not obtain leave will be required to apply for readmission to their course in order to return to study. Students eligible for Pre-2005 student status who discontinue study without obtaining approval for leave of absence will be charged at the increased student contribution rates.

For more information about applying for leave from study, contact us.

International students

If you are an international student you may apply to defer or suspend your studies only when compassionate or compelling events that are generally beyond your control and/or that impact your studies occur. These could include:

  • illness, where a medical certificate states that you were unable to attend classes
  • the death of a close family member such as a parent or grandparent (where possible a death certificate should be provided)
  • where major political upheaval or natural disaster in your home country requiring your emergency travel, which has impacted your studies
  • the University is unable to offer a prerequisite topic.

The University is required to notify the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) if you are granted leave. Even if your leave is approved it is possible your student visa status may be affected.
For more information about applying for leave from study, contact International Student Services (ISS).

Higher Degrees by Research students

Higher Degrees by Research students who wish to take a break from study (known as intermission of candidature) will need to submit an intermission request in INSPIRE.   Further details are available at  Intermit my candidature

Coursework HDR students  -  Any consequential changes to your enrolment in credit-based topics must be made by you on the Student Information System located on your OKTA Dashboard.

Comments (0)