Yes, you can be known by your preferred name, and you can request this to be recorded in the Student System. This will allow you to be recognised by your preferred name in some online contexts, such as FLO

To request a change of your preferred name at Flinders University:

  • Login to the Student System which can be accessed under the ‘My systems’ section of Compass,
  • Go to the ‘My Details’ tab. You will see the ‘My Personal Details’ page.
  • At the bottom of the page, click ‘Request a modification to My Personal Details’.

In your request, please specify that you would like to update your preferred name and include the exact name and spelling you wish to be known by.
Please note, it may take up to three (3) business days for your preferred name to be recognised in our systems and your formal name may still appear on some systems and communications.  

Your currently recorded given name(s) and family name will be retained on all official documents, including your academic transcript and testamur/ parchment unless you formally change your name with the Department of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

If you need to change your legal given or family name(s) at Flinders University, please see 
I need to change my name. What do I need to do? for advice.

Comments (0)